A Course in Miracles
To give and to receive are one in truth.
1. Vision depends upon today’s idea. 2 The light is in it, for it reconciles all seeming opposites. 3 And what is light except the resolution, born of peace, of all your conflicts and mistaken thoughts into one concept which is wholly true? 4 Even that one will disappear, because the Thought behind it will appear instead to take its place. 5 And now you are at peace forever, for the dream is over then.
2. True light that makes true vision possible is not the light the body’s eyes behold. 2 It is a state of mind that has become so unified that darkness cannot be perceived at all. 3 And thus what is the same is seen as one, while what is not the same remains unnoticed, for it is not there.
3. This is the light that shows no opposites, and vision, being healed, has power to heal. 2 This is the light that brings your peace of mind to other minds, to share it and be glad that they are one with you and with themselves. 3 This is the light that heals because it brings single perception, based upon one frame of reference, from which one meaning comes.
4. Here are both giving and receiving seen as different aspects of one Thought whose truth does not depend on which is seen as first, nor which appears to be in second place. 2 Here it is understood that both occur together, that the Thought remain complete. 3 And in this understanding is the base on which all opposites are reconciled, because they are perceived from the same frame of reference which unifies this Thought.
5. One thought, completely unified, will serve to unify all thought. 2 This is the same as saying one correction will suffice for all correction, or that to forgive one brother wholly is enough to bring salvation to all minds. 3 For these are but some special cases of one law which holds for every kind of learning, if it be directed by the One Who knows the truth.
6. To learn that giving and receiving are the same has special usefulness, because it can be tried so easily and seen as true. 2 And when this special case has proved it always works, in every circumstance where it is tried, the thought behind it can be generalized to other areas of doubt and double vision. 3 And from there it will extend, and finally arrive at the one Thought which underlies them all.
7. Today we practice with the special case of giving and receiving. 2 We will use this simple lesson in the obvious because it has results we cannot miss. 3 To give is to receive. 4 Today we will attempt to offer peace to everyone, and see how quickly peace returns to us. 5 Light is tranquility, and in that peace is vision given us, and we can see.
8. So we begin the practice periods with the instruction for today, and say:
3 I will receive what I am giving now.
4 Then close your eyes, and for five minutes think of what you would hold out to everyone, to have it yours. 5 You might, for instance, say:
7 To everyone I offer peace of mind.
8 To everyone I offer gentleness.
9. Say each one slowly and then pause a while, expecting to receive the gift you gave. 2 And it will come to you in the amount in which you gave it. 3 You will find you have exact return, for that is what you asked. 4 It might be helpful, too, to think of one to whom to give your gifts. 5 He represents the others, and through him you give to all.
10. Our very simple lesson for today will teach you much. 2 Effect and cause will be far better understood from this time on, and we will make much faster progress now. 3 Think of the exercises for today as quick advances in your learning, made still faster and more sure each time you say, “To give and to receive are one in truth.”
A Course in Miracles© 3rd Edition, published in 2007 by the Foundation for Inner Peace
Experience Lesson 108
Reflections of Light
True Vision is not of the eyes. (2:2) “It is a state of mind that has become so unified that darkness cannot be perceived at all.” It is a thought within the mind that waits upon your decision to see it. Choosing the light brings you peace and brings it to every mind because minds are one.
You receive what you ask for and receive what you give, be it guilt or forgiveness, separation or unity. Regardless of the seeming actions of others, your perception is only based on a decision within your mind. You can change this perception now.
Forgiveness is recognizing that the seeming sin has no effect and is not real. As you practice asking the Holy Spirit’s help to forgive, you learn to generalize from a single relationship to all relationships and to all aspects of your life.
You extend peace and love to everyone, and peace and love returns to your mind and to all minds. The light has come. You are that light.
Share your insights on this lesson and open further to the Light with the support of your community. Please review the community guidelines before posting.
- Share your insights with the community! Add a topic below...
You must be logged in to create new topics.
You are Love’s Light
There is another way of looking at the world. A way in which holiness envelopes everything you see and giving and receiving are one. You are this holiness. Love created you like itself and there is nothing you can do to change this. You merely had a dream you were separate. You have chosen now to awaken from your sleep. You have chosen to remember who you are. You are Love’s Light.