A Course in Miracles
God’s Will for me is perfect happiness.
1. Today we will continue with the theme of happiness. 2 This is a key idea in understanding what salvation means. 3 You still believe it asks for suffering as penance for your “sins.” 4 This is not so. 5 Yet you must think it so while you believe that sin is real, and that God’s Son can sin.
2. If sin is real, then punishment is just and cannot be escaped. 2 Salvation thus cannot be purchased but through suffering. 3 If sin is real, then happiness must be illusion, for they cannot both be true. 4 The sinful warrant only death and pain, and it is this they ask for. 5 For they know it waits for them, and it will seek them out and find them somewhere, sometime, in some form that evens the account they owe to God. 6 They would escape Him in their fear. 7 And yet He will pursue, and they can not escape.
3. If sin is real, salvation must be pain. 2 Pain is the cost of sin, and suffering can never be escaped, if sin is real. 3 Salvation must be feared, for it will kill, but slowly, taking everything away before it grants the welcome boon of death to victims who are little more than bones before salvation is appeased. 4 Its wrath is boundless, merciless, but wholly just.
4. Who would seek out such savage punishment? 2 Who would not flee salvation, and attempt in every way he can to drown the Voice which offers it to him? 3 Why would he try to listen and accept Its offering? 4 If sin is real, its offering is death, and meted out in cruel form to match the vicious wishes in which sin is born. 5 If sin is real, salvation has become your bitter enemy, the curse of God upon you who have crucified His Son.
5. You need the practice periods today. 2 The exercises teach sin is not real, and all that you believe must come from sin will never happen, for it has no cause. 3 Accept Atonement with an open mind, which cherishes no lingering belief that you have made a devil of God’s Son. 4 There is no sin. 5 We practice with this thought as often as we can today, because it is the basis for today’s idea.
6. God’s Will for you is perfect happiness because there is no sin, and suffering is causeless. 2 Joy is just, and pain is but the sign you have misunderstood yourself. 3 Fear not the Will of God. 4 But turn to it in confidence that it will set you free from all the consequences sin has wrought in feverish imagination. 5 Say:
7 There is no sin; it has no consequence.
8 So should you start your practice periods, and then attempt again to find the joy these thoughts will introduce into your mind.
7. Give these five minutes gladly, to remove the heavy load you lay upon yourself with the insane belief that sin is real. 2 Today escape from madness. 3 You are set on freedom’s road, and now today’s idea brings wings to speed you on, and hope to go still faster to the waiting goal of peace. 4 There is no sin. 5 Remember this today, and tell yourself as often as you can:
7 This is the truth, because there is no sin.
Experience Lesson 101
Reflections of Light
In the ego’s thought system, sin is real and salvation comes from the suffering and penance you believe is due. This engenders guilt and fear which the ego projects onto the world. In contrast, God’s Will for you is perfect happiness. True salvation is recognizing that there is no sin and suffering is causeless.
If you believe you are sinful, then pain, death and punishment are warranted. You believe the dream is real and forgiveness a mere fantasy.
In today’s lesson you learn that there is no sin and has no consequence. It is only a mistaken belief. (2:3) “If sin is real, then happiness must be illusion, for they cannot both be true.” What is false is false and what is true is true. Only God is real, and his Will for you is perfect happiness, joy and peace.
You have never separated from your Loving God. (5:3) “Accept Atonement with an open mind, which cherishes no lingering belief that you have made a devil of God’s Son.” In recognizing who you really are you are saved from guilt. Through the Holy Spirit’s vision of Christ, look beyond the belief in sin and see yourself and your brother as one Sinless Self. This is salvation. This is forgiveness.
You are happiness, joy and peace. You are the Son of God.
Share your insights on this lesson and open further to the Light with the support of your community. Please review the community guidelines before posting.
- Share your insights with the community! Add a topic below...
You must be logged in to create new topics.
You are Love’s Light
There is another way of looking at the world. A way in which holiness envelopes everything you see and giving and receiving are one. You are this holiness. Love created you like itself and there is nothing you can do to change this. You merely had a dream you were separate. You have chosen now to awaken from your sleep. You have chosen to remember who you are. You are Love’s Light.